Friday, May 30, 2008

Life after CAT -6 (preparing for the interviews)


Gyaan Segment

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Well if I had thought that preparing for the written exams was tough I obviously had no idea what preparation for interviews would entail.


While for the written you could just study when you wanted to and switch off once you didn’t , it wasn’t the same way with interviews. Interviews have no set format and definitely no defined syllabus. You could be asked anything and I repeat anything under the sun.


In case you don’t believe just wait till you hear my MOCK and actual interview experiences.


Not only are you supposed to know everything about yourself, you should be ready to face questions on your dad's occupation, the organization he works for, the school that you have studied in, the cities that you lived in, the states and God knows what not!!


And if that was not enough you are supposed to be good with current affairs specially business related news, supposed to have a hobby on which you can handle the severest of grilling, and obviously you cant expect to bungle up questions based on your graduation subjects.


And all this while I have not talked about the "standard" questions for which you are supposed to give convincing, logical and well thought out answers while at the same time not appearing too prepared/coached. Well the "standard" questions are like "Tell us something about yourself" or "Why do you want to do an MBA".


Sure some of you might be tempted to think that I am exaggerating, but no this is the truth. This is what you can expect in your interviews if it goes the "normal" way.


Let me tell you how I prepared for the interviews. I was already a regular reader of "The Hindu". For the interviews I started reading "The Economic Times" as well. I always had a notepad with me on which I used to write down whatever terms I didn’t understand so as to look them up on the web.


Infact sometimes even as I lied down on my bed at the end of day, something would come to my mind that I thought should be read up before the interview and I would get up and write it down in my notepad.


This notepad wasn’t unique to me or my interview preparation. Infact even when Sripriya started preparing for her IIMB interview she could also be seen everywhere with the ubiquitous (showing off my vocabulary) notepad.


Well as some coaching institute guy said "Your whole life before this point has been your preparation for the interview, now you are just learning how to present it"


TIME had started coaching classes for GD as well as interviews at their Chennai center every weekend.


Keep logging in as the action unfolds here on this part of the world wide web.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Harshit Gupta said...

achchi progress kar rahe ho bhaiya... duniya bhar ke visitor a rahe hain...