Sunday, July 04, 2010

City of Football

I have been meaning to write about the craze for football in this city. It's a welcome change for one coming from the single sport crazed North. I mean in which other place would you find flags of Brazil and Argentina hanging side by side at not only the major intersections but also streets and paadas.

Very honestly I dont think I have words to do justice to the enthusiasm that this city has about football, but as you might know that there was power failure in Kolkata a couple of days back, so this is what appeared in 'The Telegraph' following the day of power cut-

"...no soccer World Cup match was scheduled today. Else, even though the brunt of the power cut would have preceded the 7.30pm kick-off, it could have triggered panic, public fury and perhaps even street blockades."

2 comments:

Power of Words said...

These ppl are crazy about Football and East Bengal Football Club and Mohanbagan;)

Arnab Tumpy said...

Well bengali & football goes hand in hand. For understanding the reason behind check this --> http://www.mohunbaganclub.com/1911_ifa.html After 1911 there was no looking back and in every breath we had (n have) football.. The argentina Brazil craze is such that even the south americans themselves will be amazed.. I am an Albiecelestes from the age of 6 when i first watched world cup football way back in 1990.. After the final match I cried seeing God Maradona breaking down.. from then I am an Argentine supporter..In fact my family thinks I was an Argentine in my prev birth.. believe me I dont cry when india looses in cricket WC but the pain that happens inside with Argentine defeat is something I can't explain.. It's like a fish thrown out in a sahara desert.. Anyway football WC remains the second Durga Puja for us ..always... I would like to end my comments with the lyrics of a famous Bengali song from the film "Dhanyi Meye" which goes as follows "Sob khelar sera bangalir tumi Football" (The best game of all the games played is Bengali's passion Football)